List of homicides in 2023
This is a List of homicides in 2023, including homicide cases reported throughout the Birmingham District. At least 109 homicides have been reported in the area for the year. Note that a "homicide" refers to the cause of death as determined by a medical examiner, not to the crime of murder as charged by prosecutors and adjudicated through the courts.
- 1 Bibb County
- 2 Blount County
- 3 Calhoun County
- 4 Chilton County
- 5 Coosa County
- 6 Cullman County
- 7 Etowah County
- 8 Jefferson County
- 9 Lee County
- 10 Shelby County
- 11 St Clair County
- 12 Talladega County
- 13 Tallapoosa County
- 14 Tuscaloosa County
- 15 Walker County
- 16 References
- January 16: Carlos Miller, 43, died at Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center from injuries suffered in a shooting on the 5100 block of McClellan Boulevard in Anniston. The suspected shooter was also killed by gunfire, and police believe the two men shot each other. (report)
- January 16: Charrell Brown, 21, died at Stringfellow Memorial Hospital from injuries suffered in the same incident.
- January 20: Jessie Taylor McCormack, 6, died at Children's of Alabama from injuries sustained two days earlier from apparent aggravated child abuse at a home in the Anniston area. He was treated at Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center before being transferred to Children's. His father, Joshua D. Clark, was charged with capital murder. Jessie's younger brother, Enzo McCormack, died from child abuse at the hands of his mother and her boyfriend in 2019. They remain in Blount County Jail awaiting trial in that case. (report)
- April 3: An unnamed male was shot to death while approaching another vehicle on foot at Alabama Highway 21 at Recreation Drive in Oxford, following a "road rage" altercation between two drivers. Tommy Joe Butts was arrested and charged with murder and with certain persons forbidden to possess a firearm. (report)
- April 15: Troy Hall, 19, was fatally wounded by gunshot while riding in a car on the 4500 block of McClellan Boulevard. The driver was also injured. No arrest. (report)
- January 14: Robin Durell Braswell, 31, was found shot to death on Coosa County Road 5 in Goodwater. Lei-Keston Demicha Sharoy Ford was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- May 21: Roberto Juarez Ramos, 23, was found shot to death at the Cullman City Parking Deck at 305 3rd Avenue Southwest in Cullman. Christopher Dean Eugene Brown was apprehended by Walker County Sheriff's Department and charged with his murder.
- January 6: Cody Stewart, 28, was shot to death by a Gadsden Police officer on Hinsdale Avenue in the Alabama City neighborhood of Gadsden. Stewart, who had exhibited mental health problems and has struggled with drug abuse, had abducted a former girlfriend and was holding her in his apartment adjoining his family's home. Police responded to the scene with an armored vehicle and blew the garage door lock with explosives. The abducted woman was freed unharmed. The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency's Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the incident. (report)
- March 29: Walterius Jamal Barnes, 21, died at UAB Hospital from wounds suffered when he was shot multiple times from another car while he was driving, and crashed into a house on the 2900 block of Fairfax Avenue. Brothers Cameron and Colby Burroughs were arrested and charged with capital murder. A third suspect, Jakorrius Williams, was also charged with capital murder, and turned himself in. (report)
- April 11: Tyler D'King Andrews, 20, was pronounced dead at UAB Hospital from injuries suffered in a shooting at Anis Foodmart at 2931 Dartmouth Avenue. Investigators believe he was part of a group that attempted a carjacking. The shooter, the victim of the attempted robbery, was not charges. Andrews' alleged accomplices, Michael Hill and Corey Little were arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
- April 25: Darius Deshawn Brooks, 28, was shot to death in a driveway on the 700 block of Parker Road, apparently in a dispute over a debt from a food delivery order. His cousin, Jordan Brooks, was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- 55 homicides. See List of Birmingham homicides in 2023 for details.
- January 21: Anterrius Hill, 12, died at Children's Hospital from a gunshot wound suffered at a residence on the 300 block of Oxford Acres Circle. No arrest. (report)
- February 5: Phillip Edward Lankford, 59, was found shot to death near a stairwell at the Woodside Condominiums on Shadowood Circle Northeast. Jacobye Bryan Green was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- February 12: An unnamed male was shot to death in an apparent domestic dispute outside a home on the 2400 block of 2nd Street Northwest. The shooter has been identified, but no arrests or charges have been announced. (report)
- April 30: Erica Shontea Williams, 40, was found stabbed to death after a presumed domestic dispute at her home on the 3000 block of 20th Avenue Northeast. Cortrell Montesez Burks, 50, was identified as a suspect. He was arrested in Bossier City, Louisiana following an attempted robbery and shootout with police there. He faces several felony charges there before potentially being extradited to Alabama to be prosecuted for Williams' murder. (report)
- April 8: Ja’Korian Rashad Maiden, 23, was shot to death at the Shell gas station at 620 Decatur Highway during an apparent domestic argument. His girlfriend, Aryan Shabrei Smith, later turned herself in to police and was charged with capital murder. (report)
- April 15: Jessica "Bonnie" Brown, 32, was shot to death during a domestic disturbance at a house near Enclave Circle in the Chapel Hills subdivision. Her husband, Kenneth Nathaniel Sanders, was arrested after a standoff with police and charged with capital murder. The couple's four children were present but uninjured. (report)
- April 8: Kaziya Nykysha Page, 25, died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered in a breezeway at the The Pearl at Homewood apartments off Robert Jemison Road. The shooting is believed to have originated as a domestic dispute. Tayla Roxann Roland was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- May 19: Jennifer Lee Salvadori, 52, was found shot to death inside a unit in the Colonial Village at Trussville apartments off Edwards Lake Road. Her boyfriend, Billy Code Jewel, was also found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. (report)
- April 4: Warren Eugene Allen Jr, 47, was found shot to death behind the wheel of an automobile which struck a house and came to a stop on the 1100 block of 12th Avenue. No arrest. (report)
- March 22 Jeremy Marcel Marbury, 35, was stabbed to death inside a home on the 7900 block of Charles Barkley Avenue. His girlfriend called 911 and was also injured in the incident. The Jefferson County District Attorney's Office will determine whether to make criminal charges. (report)
- January 23: Rudolphus Wynn, 71, was stabbed to death during a domestic argument at his home on the 400 block of 13th Place. His wife, Shirley Ann Wynn, was taken into custody and charged with murder. (report)
Unincorporated Jefferson County
- April 3: William Mullins IV, 15, was shot to death during an altercation at Mulga Park, at 100 Bayview Drive in Mulga. Matthew Jacob Jeffery was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- April 21: Toneke Charice Davidson, 30, was shot to death during an argument at her home in the Farrington Apartments at 2912 Creek Lane Northeast just outside Center Point. Carli Rai Dunlap was arrested at the scene and charged with murder. (report)
- May 22: Deondre Montray Hollice, 31, was shot to death during an argument at the Town Square Village Apartments on Town & Country Circle southeast of Center Point. The shooter, Eslam Mohamed Zaki, called 911 and remained on the scene. He was arrested on a murder charge. (report)
- February 11: Shonte Shannel Hudson, 45, was shot to death at a party on Melton Street in Montevallo. Corey Antwon Broadnax was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- March 5: Deon Levonta King-Smith, 32, was shot to death during an argument about a mobile phone at the Extended Stay America motel at 101 Bishop Circle in Pelham. Nehemiah Scroggins was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- March 15: Robert Etress, 59, was found shot to death at his home on the 2500 block of Shelby County Road 311 south of Shelby. Donald Patrick Johnson, an acquaintance of Etress', was arrested and charged with his murder. (report)
St Clair County
- March 14: Amber L. Manning, 37, and another person were found shot to death at a home on Ivy Drive in Ragland. Daniel P. Watson surrendered to police in Leeds and admitted to killing them and two other people in Birmingham overnight. He was charged with capital murder and murder in St Clair County and is being held without bond. (report)
- March 14: Timothy R. Davidson, 62, was died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered in the same incident.
- January 16: Cameron Dontae Rogers, 19, was found shot to death in an SUV which had crashed into a parked vehicle in the vicinity of Kingwood Drive in the Drew Court public housing complex in Sylacauga. No arrest. (report)
- February 5: Devadney Sanches "Pookie" Lauderdale died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered at 189 Sherwood Drive in the Drew Court public housing complex in Sylacauga. No arrest. (report)
- March 7: Dallas Johnson, 16, was shot to death in the Drew Court public housing complex in Sylacauga. No arrest. A $1,000 reward is offered for information leading to an arrest. (report)
- March 19: Montrelle Dontae Johnson, 22, died at Citizens Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered during a large gathering at the Talladega Downs apartments in Talladega. Another man was killed and one other person wounded in the incident. Dennis Undrae Swain Jr was arrested and charged with both murders. (report)
- March 19: Djuante Nyjuwan Dickers, 23, died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered in the same shooting.
- March 29: Tony Jaquez Keith, 26, was found shot to death behind a vacant house on South Main Avenue in Sylacauga, between Clay and Park streets. No arrest. (report)
- May 5: Johnathan Vann Boyd, 43, was found shot to death at his home at 4525 Howell Cove Road in Talladega. No arrest. (report)
- May 14: Andrew Lee Jobson, 34, was struck by a motor vehicle and killed while on foot near the intersection of Alabama State Highway 275 and Allen Street in Talladega. The driver left the scene. No arrest. (report)
- April 15: Shaunkivia Nicole "Keke" Smith, 17, was one of four people killed in a mass shooting during a birthday party at Mahogany Masterpiece dance studio at 220 North Broadnax Street in Dadeville. The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is leading the investigation at the request of Dadeville Police. Brothers Ty Reik McCullough and Travis McCullough were arrested on April 18 and charged with reckless murder. (report)
- April 15: Philstavious Dowdell, 18, was killed in the same incident.
- April 15: Marsiah Emmanuel "Siah" Collins, 19, was killed in the same incident.
- April 15: Corbin Dahmontrey Holston, 23, was killed in the same incident.
- January 8: Justin Michael Whitfield, 23, was one of two men found dead in the Fosters community— one on I-59 and one on Frog Pond Road— and linked to a vehicle found abandoned in Hayneville, Lowndes County. Keondre Jazel McCall and Mance Quinnell McCall Jr were arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
- January 8: Destin Rashard Holley, 23, was found dead in the same incident.
- January 14: Terrence Knott Jr, 37, was found shot to death at the Sun Valley Apartments at 5140 36th Avenue East in Tuscaloosa. Dondre Joseph was arrested and charged with murder. Investigators believe that Knott had been involved in a domestic dispute with a member of Josephs' family. (report)
- January 15: Jamea Jonae Harris, 23, was shot to death while riding in a car on Grace Street near The Strip in Tuscaloosa. The driver returned fire and wounded one of the assailants. Michael Lynn "Buzz" Davis and Darius Miles, who had been in an earlier argument with the driver, were arrested and charged with capital murder. Miles was immediately dismissed from the Alabama Crimson Tide basketball team. The two were indicted in March. (report)
- February 12: Bernice Etienne Walker, 24, was killed in an apparent murder-suicide at her home in the Winding Creek Apartments at 6802 Old Greensboro Road. Her husband, Devin Levon Walker, was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. (report)
- March 29: Kimora "Minnie" Landrum, was struck and killed while she stood near Alabama State Highway 69 several miles south of Tuscaloosa. She had been thrown from her mother's car when it struck a pick-up truck earlier, and then hit by another driver who fled the scene. No arrest. (report)
- April 2: Samuel Crispin, 65, died in hospital care from injuries suffered in a vehicle collision at the intersection of James I. Harrison Jr Parkway and 12th Avenue East in Tuscaloosa. Terrell Harris, already wanted for felony DUI, was arrested and charged with manslaughter, felony leaving the scene of an accident and DUI. (report)
- May 11: An unidentified 3 month-old male died at Children's of Alabama from extensive injuries including skull fractures suffered at his home in Tuscaloosa. His parents, Jameela Biggs and Antonio Martin, were arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- January 19: Matthew Douglas Perrigin, 32, was found shot to death, and two other males wounded, following a shooting which occurred during an apparent attempted vehicle robbery on Hill Drive in Quinton. Corey Ryan Mahaffey and Kaison Mahaffey were charged with murder and captured the following night at separate locations. (report)
- March 30: Rufus Tyrone Carter IV, 37, died at DCH Regional Medical Center from injuries received when he was shot multiple time near the 1800 block of Queen City Avenue and subsequently crashed his car. Reginal Dawayne Peoples turned himself in to police and was charged with murder. (report)
- May 1: Johnny Karris, 47, was shot to death by a Gardendale Police officer after he fired on officers serving a warrant at his home at 83 School Street in Cordova. The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is reviewing the officer-involved shooting. (report)
- May 9: An unnamed male was found stabbed to death in the front yard of a residence on Austin Circle Drive in Dora. Pathenia Washington was arrested at the scene and charged with murder. (link)