Welcome to Bhamwiki
Bhamwiki, now in its fifteenth year, is an encyclopedic resource for anyone curious about Birmingham, Alabama and the region around it. We aim for accuracy, objectivity, and accessibility as we work steadily to expand our coverage.
Bhamwiki has more than 15,300 individual entries to explore. There are several ways to navigate the site. Click on any blue link to read an article about that topic. Try perusing some of our featured articles, or our newest entries. Look at what happened on this date in Birmingham's history. Take a chance by clicking on "random page" to the left. If you know what you're looking for, try using the search box. Or you can even start at the top and work your way in from there.
If you're interested in contributing corrections, comments, or an idea for an article, check out our Bhamwiki:Suggestion box. If you'd like to join the project as an editor, please review our Bhamwiki:User agreement. Note that all contributions are reviewed for adherence to our content policy and are subject to correction and expansion by other editors.
Ravagers film poster
In the news
- December 28: The Houston Cougars won the 2021 Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium 17-13.
- December 26: Entomologist, sociobiologist and conservationist E. O. Wilson died in Massachusetts.
- December 1: Birmingham's Ram Tool was acquired by White Cap of Atlanta, Georgia.
- November: The Birmingham Squadron began playing at Legacy Arena.
- ...that during local prohibition in Bessemer a cluster of saloons opened in unincorporated "Whiskeytown" just east of the city limits?
- ...that the Nation of Islam was driven out of St Clair County in 1970?
- ...that Cinema City 8 was the largest multiplex in the nation when it opened in 1978?
- ...that in the 1930s all Dr Pepper syrup distributed east of the Mississippi was made in Birmingham?
Bhamwiki has been running since March 15, 2006. The project currently has 548 registered user accounts and contains approximately 15,651 articles. See Bhamwiki:Milestones for more information on the growth of the site. You can also join us on facebook or follow along on twitter.