Welcome to Bhamwiki
Bhamwiki, launched in 2006, is an ever-growing encyclopedic resource for anyone curious about Birmingham, Alabama and the region around it. We aim for accuracy, objectivity, and accessibility as we work steadily to expand our coverage.
Bhamwiki has more than 15,800 individual entries to explore. There are several ways to navigate the site. Click on any blue link to read an article about that topic. Try perusing some of our featured articles, or our newest entries. Look at what happened on this date in Birmingham's history. Take a chance by clicking on "random page" to the left. If you know what you're looking for, try using the search box. Or you can even start at the top and work your way in from there.
If you're interested in contributing corrections, comments, or an idea for an article, check out our Bhamwiki:Suggestion box. If you'd like to join the project as an editor, please review our Bhamwiki:User agreement. Note that all contributions are reviewed for adherence to our content policy and are subject to correction and expansion by other editors.
Ravagers film poster
In the news
- December 1: Trent Dilfer was hired as head coach of the UAB Blazers football team.
- November 28: Hugh Freeze was hired as head coach of the Auburn Tigers football team.
- November 8: The 2022 general election was held.
- April 5: The Birmingham Squadron NBA G League team lost at home to the Texas Legends 115-110 in the Western Conference Quarterfinals.
- ...that during local prohibition in Bessemer a cluster of saloons opened in unincorporated "Whiskeytown" just east of the city limits?
- ...that the Nation of Islam was driven out of St Clair County in 1970?
- ...that Cinema City 8 was the largest multiplex in the nation when it opened in 1978?
- ...that in the 1930s all Dr Pepper syrup distributed east of the Mississippi was made in Birmingham?
Bhamwiki has been running since March 15, 2006. The project currently has 559 registered user accounts and contains approximately 16,379 articles. See Bhamwiki:Milestones for more information on the growth of the site. You can also join us on facebook or follow along on twitter.