Welcome to Bhamwiki
Bhamwiki, now in its fourteenth year, is an encyclopedic resource for anyone curious about Birmingham, Alabama and the region around it. We aim for accuracy, objectivity, and accessibility as we work steadily to expand our coverage.
Bhamwiki has more than 14,800 individual entries to explore. There are several ways to navigate the site. Click on any blue link to read an article about that topic. Try perusing some of our featured articles, or our newest entries. Look at what happened on this date in Birmingham's history. Take a chance by clicking on "random page" to the left. Or, if you know what you're looking for, try using the search box. Or you can even start at the top and work your way in from there.
If you're interested in contributing corrections, comments, or an idea for an article, check out our Bhamwiki:Suggestion box. If you'd like to join the project as an editor, please review our Bhamwiki:User agreement. Note that all contributions are reviewed for adherence to our content policy and are subject to correction and expansion by other editors.
In the news
- January 25: A deadly tornado struck Fultondale and Center Point.
- January 12: The 2020 Alabama Crimson Tide football team won the College Football Playoff.
- December 23: Broadway star Rebecca Luker died in New York City.
- December 18: The 2020 UAB Blazers football team won a Conference USA championship.
- ...that during local prohibition in Bessemer a cluster of saloons opened in unincorporated "Whiskeytown" just east of the city limits?
- ...that the Nation of Islam was driven out of St Clair County in 1970?
- ...that Cinema City 8 was the largest multiplex in the nation when it opened in 1978?
- ...that cartoonist Howard Cruse and author Dennis Covington are cousins?
- ...that the Native American settlement of Mad Town on the Cahaba River marked a junction of major trade paths?
Bhamwiki has been running since March 15, 2006. The project currently has 536 registered user accounts and contains approximately 14,990 articles. See Bhamwiki:Milestones for more information on the growth of the site. You can also join us on facebook or follow along on twitter.