Majestic Theatre

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Majestic Theatre was a Vaudeville hall located at 1808-1810 3rd Avenue North, the former Jesse French Piano & Organ Company showroom, constructed in 1902. The theater, owned by Karl Hoblitzelle, opened around 1905 and presented a full schedule of nightly entertainment and daily matinees. Under the management of __ Gould, it may have been the first theater in Birmingham to exhibit motion pictures in the silent film era.

The bill for the week of February 13, 1909 included the James S. Devlin-Mae Elllwood Company performing the short comedy "The Girl from Yonkers", a sensational acrobatic act of stair-descending cycles by Hill & Silviany, a Mexican drama "Beggars" performed by Ann Hamilton & Company, a musical comedy sketch by trick pianist Nick Russell and his wife, Lida, a "surprise act" by the Great Vardaman, presenting three characterizations in female costume, a vocal recital of "Irish Mellodies and 'Coon' Songs" by Tom Moore, a comedy act of vocal impressions by the dainty Mamie Hornish, a program of new pictures exhibited by the "Majestograph" projector, and Capt. Treat's trained seals and sea lions. Tickets for that weeks programs were 25¢, 35¢, 50¢ and 75¢.

By 1912 the Majestic, managed by Carl Rettick, was operating as part of the Interstate Vaudeville circuit based in Chicago, Illinois. The auditorium seated 364 on the ground floor, 300 on a balcony, 300 in a gallery, and 88 in boxes. The stage proscenium was 26 by 30 feet and the stage was 46 feet wide and 37 feet deep. The rigging loft was 50 feet tall with a fly gallery and 25 feet and eight dressing rooms were available.

The theater re-opened on June 4, 1916 as Birmingham's "newest house."

The Majestic Theatre later became the home of Jefferson Furniture, Joiner Furniture, Haverty Furniture and Superior Furniture.

References