Martin Biscuit Building
The Martin Biscuit Building is a 2-story, 53,776 square foot brick commercial building located on the southeast corner of 2nd Avenue South at 29th Street. The original building was constructed in 1928 as a bakery for the Martin Biscuit Company. It was later expanded to the east with a slightly larger, but also slightly shorter addition.
The company closed in 1948. The vacant building was purchased for $500,000 by Sloss Real Estate in 1999 and renovated as part of their Pepper Place district in the early 2000s. Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood designed renovations. The $5,226,226 redevelopment cost was offset by a 20% federal Historic Preservation Tax Credit.
- Ground floor
- Suite 100: Hot and Hot Fish Club (2020-), former location of Cantina extra dining area, Alabama Outdoors pop-up store
- Suite 110: Cantina restaurant (2004-)
- Suite 120: The Red Cat coffeehouse (Opened as O Kafés in 2008), former location of Juniper (bar), Amani Raha cocktail lounge (2005–2008)
- Suite 130: AQ2 Technologies (2015-), former location of Zeekee Interactive (2011)
- Suite 150: Bettola restaurant (2006-)
- Suite 159: former location of Vittoria Macelleria (2013-2015)
- Suite 170: DeKalb Office
- Second floor
- Paul, Donna (January 25, 2011) "Daughter of Birmingham Plans Revival." The New York Times