Martin Biscuit Company

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Martin Biscuit Company was a large commercial bakery known for its "Marco" crackers and "Milk & Honey" cookies.

The company was founded by Edgar Martin, who had sold his previous Martin Cracker Co. to the American Bakery Company in 1907. The business was incorporated on November 1, 1910 with W. L. Klein, W. B. Morgan, R. D. Mills, H. E. Klein, Charles Myers, Vassar Allen and Chris Colias as partners.

In 1914 the bakery occupied a three-story brick building with 50,000 square feet of floor space, but was looking to relocate to larger quarters. That same year it was reported (in a national trade magazine) that secretary-treasurer Mills was confined at home for several weeks due to a nervous breakdown, and that W. C. Hahn, formerly of the Lakeside Biscuit Co. in Toledo, Ohio, had been hired as superintendent of the plant.

In 1928 they built the Martin Biscuit Building in Lakeview, now part of the Pepper Place mixed-use redevelopment. The company was dissolved on June 16, 1948.

References

  • "Alabama-Birmingham" (April 22, 1914) The Weekly Northwestern Miller. Vol. 98, p. 231