May 12 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2012: Evangelist Matt Pitt was arrested and charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer.
- 2009: A special election was held to fill the vacancy left in Alabama Senate District 19 by the conviction of E. B. McClain on federal charges.
- 2008: Former chief meteorologist David Neal filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against WBRC-TV.
- 2007: "Claud D. Cotten, III Memorial Field" at Crestwood Park was dedicated.
- 2007: The 6th annual Buck Creek Festival was held in Old Town Helena.
- 2006: The first annual Birmingham Zoo Run was held.
- 2005: American Idol contestant Taylor Hicks made a promotional visit to Birmingham shortly before the final round.
- 2001: Birmingham Steeldogs 65 - Peoria Pirates 42 at the BJCC Arena.
- 2001: The first Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil after the departure of Aaron Beam was held.
- 2000: Carolina Rhinos 53 - Birmingham Steeldogs 24 at Greenville, South Carolina
- 1995: The 1995 Pepsi Hot Air Affair ballooning event began.
- 1991: Frankfurt Galaxy 10 - Birmingham Fire 3 at Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt, Germany.
- 1952: Cabinet builder and political candidate Hilbun Adams was born in Sacramento, California.
- 1942: 1965 Birmingham Barons star Ted Kubiak was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- 1915: Novelist Joe David Brown was born in Birmingham.
- 1859: Avondale Mayor William Starbuck was born in Ohio.