May 22 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2009: Governor Bob Riley signed a gourmet beer bill sponsored by Free the Hops.
- 2006: Avondale Mills announced the closing or sale of its textile mills.
- 2004: Fire destroyed a Summer Classics plant in Columbiana.
- 1999: The 20th annual Do Dah Day was held.
- 1983: ZZ Top and Sammy Hagar performed at the BJCC.
- 1957: The Town of Sylvan Springs was incorporated.
- 1891: 11 miners were killed in the 1891 Pratt No. 1 Mine explosion.
- 1874: The 1874 Alabama Press Association convention concluded.
- 1864: Soldiers under the command of Colonel J. S. Casement destroyed the Oxmoor Furnace.
- 1962: Alabama State Senator Steve French was born in Lynchburg, Virginia.
- 1951: Kidnapping and murder victim Larry Thomas was born.
- 1927: Math professor Abdulalim Shabazz was born in Bessemer.
- 1914: Herman Poole Blount (Sun Ra) was born in Birmingham.