May 24 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2010: Big Daddy's Bar-B-Q was damaged by fire.
- 2007: The Mark & Mack Show completed its final airing.
- 2007: Robert W. Carter became chief of the Adamsville Police Department.
- 2006: Regions Bank and AmSouth bank announced plans to merge.
- 2006: Taylor Hicks was announced as the winner of American Idol.
- 2006: The 2006 SEC Baseball Tournament opened at the Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.
- 2005: Bob Riley declared "Bo Bice Day".
- 2005: The Maria Taylor album 11:11 was released on Saddle Creek Records.
- 2005: Bishop of Kansas City-Saint Joseph Raymond Boland retired.
- 2004: McCormick & Schmick's opened at Brookwood Village.
- 1992: Birmingham Fire 27 - Ohio Glory 24 at Ohio Stadium.
- 1989: Cobb Festival 12 Cinemas opened at the Eastwood Festival Centre.
- 1952: Boston's Jimmy Piersall and New York's Billy Martin had an on-the-field fistfight.
- 1942: Satchel Paige led the first African-American baseball team to play at Wrigley Field in Chicago.
- 1917: Gus Jebeles married Catherine Chunn in Kentucky.
- 1887: Residents voted 29-6 to incorporate the new town of Highland.
- 1857: Samuel Ullman married Emma Mayer in Natchez, Mississippi.