Government of Ensley
The Government of Ensley took charge of municipal matters in Ensley from when it was incorporated in 1899 until it was annexed into Birmingham under the Greater Birmingham legislation, effective January 1, 1910.
In addition to the executive and legislative offices, Ensley employed a city clerk. An elected chief headed the Ensley Police Department. The Ensley Police Court employed a judge and clerk as well. The Ensley Board of Education oversaw the Bush School, Moore School, and a Ensley Colored School, as well as a kindergarten taught by Nellie Few above a bakery on 19th Street.
The Mayor of Ensley was the elected head of the city government.
 List of Mayors
 Board of Aldermen
The Ensley Board of Aldermen consisted of two representatives from each voting ward of the city. In 1903 those wards were described as follows:
 First Ward
Between 16th Street and the northeastern city limit.
 Second Ward
 Third Ward
 Fourth Ward
Between 23rd Street and the southwestern city limit.
 Fifth Ward
The Fifth Ward was added between 1903 and the 1906 Ensley municipal election
- Ensley City Directory (1903) Birmingham: Ensley Directory Company/Roberts & Son, Printers
- Citizens League of Ensley, Ala (1906) "The Ensley Campaign Book"
- Prince, A. G. (1982) Landmarks of Ensley: Past and Present. revised edition. Ensley: Best Printing Service