- This article is about the commercial building on 1st Avenue North. For the Bessemer pioneer homestead, see Thomas McAdory residence.
The building is 30 feet wide and 172½ feet deep. The original structure was twice the width of the present building. The western half (at 2011) which housed the D. A. Childs & Co. dry goods store, was demolished before 1912 to make way for the American Trust and Savings Bank Building.
The McAdory Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 14, 1979. In 1984 the city of Birmingham was awarded a $400,000 Urban Development Action Grant from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development to assist in renovating the McAdory Building for office space.
The building has housed numerous mercantile businesses such as the Perry-Mason Shoe Co. and Wimberly & Thomas Hardware; as well as the United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1657 in Suite 300, Maner Companies, Inc. in suite 444, and Sparrow & Lavette attorneys. In 1977 the building housed the Billiard Parlor for Guys and Dolls. It is currently the home of the Woolley Law Firm and Gardner Middlebrook Fleming Gibbons & Kittrell.
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- "Birmingham in line for federal grant." (July 5, 1984) The Tuscaloosa News