Merchant's Walk (sometimes spelled Merchants Walk) is a 29,000-square-foot shopping center located at 1919 28th Avenue South at the corner of Independence Drive in Homewood.
Merchants Walk was built in 1990 on the site of the former Tara House Hotel, which had been condemned and demolished. It is configured into an L-shape with arms along the southern and western edges of the parcel, facing into a parking lot on the northeast corner.
The building was designed by Lauren Barrett for Newport-Pacifica. The facade is a monumental arcade of circular arches. Each tenant space has a double-height front area with an interior mezzanine level. Charles & Vinzant Construction built the center. The exterior has been remodeled at least once since it was constructed.
The 6,700-square-foot anchor space, at the bend of the L, was occupied by Movie Gallery until late 2008. It was subsequently divided in to three separate spaces.
In 2015 Shannon Waltchack purchased the property from Alan Lichtenstein.
- Suite 101: Bryant Bank (2008–)
- Suite 109: Supercuts (2008–)
- Suite 113: Whiskey Foxtrot Burger Dive (Ben & Zac Williams 2023–), former location of Homewood Gourmet (Franklin Biggs 1997–2010 Chris & Laura Zapalowski 2010–2023)
- Suite 117: Red Mountain Eye Care (2011–)
- Suite 119–123: former location of Movie Gallery (–2008)
- Suite 119: YoYo Donuts Etc. (2011–)
- Suite 121: Bedzzz Express (2011–)
- Suite 123: Black Tie (2019–), former location of Any Lab Test Now (2011-2017)
- Suite 125: Brazilian Wax, former location of Oodles of Ribbon (2011)
- Suite 129: Subway restaurant (2008–)
- Suite 133: Nail World II (2011–)
- Suite 137: Toddies package store (2011–)
- Suite 141: UBreakIFix phone repairs, former location of Phone Restore (2011–2017)
- Suite 145: Mark's Jewelry (2008–)
- Suite 149: Yoe Xpress restaurant (2011–)
- Suite 153: TCBY (2008–)
- "Project News" (1988) Design Alabama, Vol. 1, No. 2, p. 4
- Cooper, Lauren B. (January 7, 2011) "Retailers take former Movie Gallery space in Homewood." Birmingham Business Journal
- Cooper, Lauren B. (February 9, 2011) "Phone Restore taking space in Merchants Walk." Birmingham Business Journal
- Godwin, Brent (November 12, 2015) "Shannon Waltchack buys Merchants Walk shopping center." Birmingham Business Journal