Mr. Chen's Chinese Cooking
Mr. Chen's Authentic Chinese Cooking is a Chinese/Taiwanese restaurant located at 1917 Hoover Court off U. S. Highway 31 in Hoover. It was opened in early 2009 by Wu Lung Chen and his wife, Shu Feng ("Sherry"), Taiwanese immigrants who formerly operated the Red Pearl Restaurant and Super Oriental Market on West Valley Avenue and the Peking Restaurant in Center Point.
In addition to Americanized Chinese-restaurant specialties like Mongolian beef and General Tso's Cchicken, the restaurant serves authentic cuisine from Taiwan and the Chinese mainland. Specialties include beef belly in hot pot, pork in black bean sauce, salt oysters and basil squid.
A third partner, Jianxin Zhu, has helped to expand the restaurant to other locations. The second Mr Chen's opened in 2012 in the Parkview Plaza Shopping Center in Tuscaloosa. A Jackson, Mississippi location opened in early 2013 and the owners hoped to open a new restaurant in Montgomery as well.
In 2015 a new Homewood location opened at 808 Green Springs Highway, connecting to the Hometown Supermarket. Later the same year Thomas Chen converted the former Lee Garden Chinese Restaurant at the Trussville Plaza shopping center to a Mr. Chen's. In 2017 that location was managed by Jo Jo Qiong. The Trussville restaurant closed abruptly in July 2018. The strip's manager told reporters that the business owner, "left the country," and left behind spoiled food.
- Carlton, Bob (February 2009) "Mr. Chen's opens in Hoover." The Birmingham News
- Gaskin, Tom (October 30, 2009) "Mr. Chen's Authentic Chinese in Hoover is the real deal." The Birmingham News
- "The Real Mr. Chen's" (November 17, 2011) Birmingham Weekly
- Seraaj-Sabri, Intisar (September 24, 2013) "Mr. Chen’s: Authentic Chinese Cooking." Hoover Sun
- Yow, Chris (October 6, 2015) "Mr. Chen’s opens in Trussville." Trussville Tribune
- Velasco, Eric (August 22, 2016) "Hometown Supermarket offers exotic produce, foods from around the world." The Birmingham News
- Friday, Tanna (July 11, 2018) "Popular Chinese restaurant in Trussville closed its doors." Trussville Tribune
- Mr Chen's Homewood website