North Birmingham Elementary School
|North Birmingham Elementary School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||2620 35th Avenue North, (map)|
|Principal||Jesse Watts, Jr|
The first school on the site was constructed by the City of North Birmingham in 1908. North Birmingham was annexed into Birmingham by the Greater Birmingham legislation which took effect in 1910. The present red-brick school building was constructed in 1923 to designs by the noted Birmingham firm of Warren Knight & Davis. Additions were completed in 1930 and 1950.
Under a school consolidation plan proposed by acting superintendent Barbara Allen and approved by the Board, North Birmingham Elementary would have closed in the Summer of 2010 with students transferring to Lewis Elementary School. That consolidation was postponed until 2012.