Norwood Elementary School
|Norwood Elementary School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||3136 Norwood Boulevard, (map)|
|Colors||Green & black|
The school is named for the residential subdivision of Norwood that was developed in 1912 by the Birmingham Realty Company. The school building was constructed between 1923 and 1925 to designs by the noted Birmingham firm of Warren Knight & Davis. An addition was completed in 1928.
Under a consolidation plan proposed by acting superintendent Barbara Allen and approved by the Board in 2008, Norwood Elementary would have been expanded into a K-8 school. Instead the school was closed in 2013 with students moving to Lewis Elementary School. After much public pressure, the former school building was rehabilitated and re-opened as a replacement for Lewis Elementary School in 2016.