October 17 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2011: The Alabaster City Council voted to form a separate Alabaster City Schools system.
- 2005: Tamani, an African elephant, was born at the Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, Florida.
- 2003: Alabama Geocachers Association was formed.
- 1985: John Parker Wilson was born.
- 1983: Pro basketball player James Lang was born.
- 1969: Writer Warren St John was born.
- 1955: Artist Kerry James Marshall was born in Birmingham.
- 1948: Dichiara's Steak House opened.
- 1940: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus performed in an air-conditioned tent.
- 1872: The National Bank of Birmingham was organized.
- 1848: Postmaster and U.S. Representative Truman Aldrich was born.