October 18 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2012: Demolition of the original Huffman High School began.
- 2008: The Warrior Wildfire won the 2008 Southern Football League championship 3-0.
- 2008: UAB defeated Marshall 23-21 at Legion Field.
- 2008: BSC lost 48-29 to Austin College at Hoover High School.
- 2008: Miles College defeated Kentucky State 29-23 at Albert J. Sloan-Alumni Stadium in Fairfield.
- 2007: Engineer Bill Edmonds (a founder of BE&K), died in Birmingham.
- 1995: The new 24th Street Viaduct was dedicated.
- 1994: Groundbreaking for the new Shades Valley High School in Irondale took place.
- 1974: Hueytown City Councilman Michael Pickens was born.
- 1971: Runner and teacher DeWayne Miner was born.
- 1916: A 5.1 magnitude earthquake shook Irondale and Birmingham.
- 1902: Auburn defeated Alabama 23-0 in the Iron Bowl, held at West End Park.
- 1891: South Highland Presbyterian Church was incorporated.
- 1890: The DeBardeleben Coal and Iron Company acquired the Oxmoor Furnaces from David Sinton.