October 2 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2013: The Birmingham Comprehensive Plan was adopted by the Birmingham City Council.
- 2007: Robert Baker was installed as the Bishop of Birmingham.
- 2000: Scotty McCallum was sworn in as Mayor of Vestavia Hills.
- 1997: 4 Little Girls had its last showing of a two week run at the Carver Theatre.
- 1996: The Birmingham Regional EMS System handled its first interagency call.
- 1975: The 1975 Alabama State Fair opened.
- 1972: John Scates was sworn in as Mayor of Vestavia Hills.
- 1966: Henry Mancini performed at Municipal Auditorium.
- 1960: Fort Mortimer H. Jordan Alabama National Guard 109th Evacuation Hospital Armory was dedicated.
- 1959: St Theresa Catholic Church in Leeds was raised from a mission to a parish with Reverend Desmond Regan as resident pastor.
- 1958: Edgemoor Estates neighborhood was approved by the Homewood Planning Commission.
- 1946: Carl Morton married Isabel Gibbons.
- 1944: The 1944 Alabama State Fair opened.
- 1939: The 1939 Alabama State Fair opened.
- 1894: The Birmingham Medical College held its first classes in the former Lunsford Hotel.
- 1862: Chambers McAdory was wounded and taken prisoner at the Battle of Corinth.
- 1964: UAB and MLB baseball player Hector Villanueva was born in Puerto Rico.
- 1956: Community activist Kamau Afrika was born.
- 1955: AIDS researcher Michael Saag was born.
- 1955: McDonald's franchise owner Larry Thornton was born in Montgomery.
- 1927: Author Cecil Dawkins was born in Birmingham.
- 1917: Educator Ernest Palmore was born in Richland, Georgia.
- 1908: 1st Presbyterian Church pastor Ed Ramage was born in Weaverville, North Carolina.
- 1875: Social activist Pattie Ruffner Jacobs was born in Malden, West Virginia.
- 1781: Alabama's first governor William Wyatt Bibb was born in Prince Edward County, Virginia.
- 2020: Insurance executive and collector Steve Williams died.
- 2014: Television host Benny Carle died.
- 2006: Actress and model Frances Bergen died in Los Angeles, California.
- 1994: U.S. Attorney and former U.S. Representative Claude Harris died in Birmingham.
- 2018: The Houston Rockets defeated the Memphis Grizzlies 131–115 in a NBA exhibition game at Legacy Arena.
- 2008: UAB lost the Battle for the Bones to Memphis 33-30 at Legion Field.
- 1986: Vida Blue pitched his final Major League game.