October 24 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2015: Continental Bakery Downtown closed.
- 2014: The Dalai Lama began a four-day visit to Birmingham.
- 2014: Carbon Hill mayor James Richardson resigned following criminal charges of sexual abuse of city jail inmates.
- 2009: University of Alabama professors Stuart Rachels and Heather Elliott married.
- 2005: SouthTrust Bank was acquired by Wachovia.
- 1996: President Bill Clinton delivered a campaign speech at Birmingham-Southern College.
- 1962: Shades Mountain Baptist Church broke ground for a new 1,500-seat sanctuary.
- 1961: Judge Hobart Grooms ruled that Birmingham's parks must be integrated.
- 1957: Leland Shopping Center in Alberta City opened as Tuscaloosa's first modern shopping center.
- 1950: Residents of Vestavia Hills voted 88 to 8 in favor of incorporating.
- 1944: The USS Birmingham lost 229 crewmen during the Battle of Leyte Gulf in World War II.
- 1941: Pianist Sergei Rachmaninoff performed the last of five recitals in Birmingham.
- 1921: Celebrations for the Semicentennial of Birmingham began at Woodrow Wilson Park.
- 1915: Henry Edmonds founded the Independent Presbyterian Church.
- 1905: President Theodore Roosevelt spied a gunman in the crowd while giving an address at Capitol Park.
- 1900: Andrew Beard applied for his first "Automatic car-coupling" patent.
- 1988: Painter Chip Ghigna was born.
- 1963: Painter Joe DeCamillis was born.
- 1924: Attorney Orzell Billingsley was born in Ensley.
- 1924: Restaurateur Billy Pappas was born in Zakynthos, Greece.
- 2019: Drag performer and activist Libertee Belle died in Birmingham.
- 2014: Concert pianist and Miss Alabama 1961 Delores Hodgens Howard died in Birmingham.
- 2013: Newspaper photographer Tommy Langston died.
- 2013: Pediatrician and state legislator Dewey White died in Mountain Brook.
- 2012: Planner Robert Juster died in Auburn.
- 1982: Singer and actress Lottice Howell died at Druid City Hospital in Tuscaloosa.
- 1952: Retailer Joseph Zinszer died.
- 2014: Hewitt-Trussville Stadium opened with Hoover Bucs defeating Hewitt-Trussville Huskies 38-24.
- 1999: The Houston Rockets and Detroit Pistons played an exhibition game at the BJCC Coliseum. Charles Barkley announced his retirement during a halftime ceremony.
- 1999: Pelham Prowlers 3 - Orlando Fury 1 at the Pelham Civic Complex.