October 8 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2019: The 2019 Birmingham special election was held to fill vacancies in three Birmingham City Council seats and to conduct a referendum on renewing the city's ad valorum tax for Birmingham City Schools.
- 2016: The Western Supermarkets store in Mountain Brook Village closed to relocate to nearby Lane Parke.
- 2005: SouthTrust Bank signage across the city was replaced with Wachovia Bank's logos.
- 1992: A historical marker was dedicated at the Auburn Women's Club clubhouse.
- 1991: Anthrax, Public Enemy and Primus played at the UAB Arena.
- 1989: The 55th Place thrift store opened in its current location in Woodlawn.
- 1983: The Hoover Public Library first opened at River Oaks Village.
- 1966: Johnny Cash, the Statler Brothers and the Carter Family performed at Municipal Auditorium
- 1955: The 1955 Alabama State Fair concluded.
- 1945: The first freshman classes began at the Medical College of Alabama.
- 1913: The Convent of Perpetual Adoration and Blessed Sacrament Academy in West End were dedicated.
- 1906: Rhett Goode succeeded Benjamin Wyman as dean of the Birmingham Medical College.
- 1976: Computer engineer and cyclist Brian Toone was born.
- 1974: Television anchor Beth Shelburne was born in Birmingham.
- 1943: State Senator Priscilla Dunn was born.
- 1939: Freedom Rider, educator & jewelry store owner Catherine Burks-Brooks was born in Birmingham.
- 1920: Surgeon William Maddox was born in Abbeville, Henry County.
- 1888: Jefferson County School Board member Owen Gresham was born.
- 1884: Governor Chauncey Sparks was born in Barbour County.
- 2010: Former Auburn University dean of student affairs James Foy died.
- 2010: Businessman and former murder defendant Mel Powers died in Houston, Texas.
- 2007: Kayla Fanaei was murdered following a robbery attempt in the parking lot of Glen Iris Elementary School.
- 1997: Architecture writer and photographer G. E. Kidder Smith died at home in New York, New York.
- 1992: Banker Frank Yeilding Jr died.
- 1890: Train robber Rube Burrow was gunned down in Marengo County.