Old Montgomery Highway (Homewood)
- This article is about Old Montgomery Highway in Homewood. For other roads by this name, see Old Montgomery Highway.
Old Montgomery Highway in Homewood is a road that was previously part of Montgomery Highway. In 1937, the highway was improved as a so-called "Trailer Route" and rerouted with gentler curves than the previous Montgomery Highway. The improvements created a wider, straighter route up the north side of Shades Mountain that was later renamed Independence Drive. The segments of the previous Montgomery Highway came to be known as Old Montgomery Highway, a name that persists today.
Going south, Old Montgomery Highway branches off Independence Drive to the east across from Saulter Road. It travels southeast, then turns southwest to cross Independence Drive. It then turns south, crossing Lakeshore Drive and acting as the eastern terminus for South Lakeshore Drive before winding up Shades Mountain to the top, rejoining the new route just south of the Vestavia Hills city limits. Access at this point to and from Old Montgomery Highway is limited to Independence Drive northbound only, due to a barrier between northbound and southbound traffic.
- Independence Drive intersection (continues west as Saulter Road)
- 3385: Cahaba Park Apartments
- Windsor Drive intersection
- Independence Drive intersection
- Lakeshore Drive intersection
- Homewood National Guard Armory (address is on South Lakeshore Drive)
- South Lakeshore Drive intersection
- Independence Drive intersection (road terminus)
|Current U.S. Highway 31||Independence Dr.||Montgomery Hwy||Montgomery Hwy||Pelham Parkway||1st Street|
|Previous routes||18th St S, 29th Ave S, Old Montgomery Hwy||Lorna Road, Old Montgomery Hwy||Old Montgomery Hwy|