Pratt City Park
- This article is about the park on 3rd Street Pratt in Central Pratt. For the park on Hibernian Street in North Pratt, see One Pratt Place.
The park is a remnant of a 40-acre park which the City of Birmingham leased from the Republic Steel & Iron Company for $40 a year. After the city improved the park, it was dedicated at a barbecue on September 20, 1913. In the 1940s the Pratt City Service Club hosted a major annual two-day festival at the park, featuring barbecue, softball, sideshows, and the crowning of a carnival queen. In 1958 an inspection of the park listed numerous maintenance issues, including vandalism, erosion, broken beer and whisky bottles, and general decay.
During the long period when Birmingham's segregation ordinances were enforced, Pratt City Park was open only to white residents. After nearly decades of lobbying, Pratt City Colored Park was opened on the western side of the neighborhood. In 1962 with racial integration looming, a Pratt City Recreation Committee, led by George C. Jones, was formed to raise funds to purchase the park and operate it as a private enterprise.
Pratt City Park is currently anchored by a combination football field and baseball diamond. It also includes two asphalt-paved basketball courts, a barbecue pavilion, and a playground.
- "Pratt City Public Park is Opened" (September 21, 1913) Birmingham Age-Herald, p. 5
- "Pratt City ready for carnival with barbecue featured" (June 26, 1941) The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- "Field Notes on Conditions Existing In City of Birmingham Parks (October 15–22, 1958)", Exhibit B in Personnel Board of Jefferson County (February 9, 1959) "A Survey of the Management Practices of the Park and Recreation Board, City of Birmingham."
- "Pratt City Park Group is Organized" (February 14, 1962) Birmingham Post-Herald - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Edgemon, Erin (December 1, 2016) "New storm shelters ready in Birmingham before tornado season." The Birmingham News