Putnam Middle School
|Putnam Middle School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||1757 Montclair Road, (map)|
|Colors||blue and white|
W. E. Putnam Middle Magnet School is a middle school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 1757 Montclair Road in the Eastwood neighborhood. It was constructed in 1961 as an elementary school with 13 classrooms, an office and a cafeteria. Shortly after his death in 1962 the school was renamed for former Birmingham Board of Education research director W. E. Putnam. It was converted into a middle school in 1980. The principal is Michael Scott.
In March 2012 the school closed for a week due to possible widespread contamination from a mercury spill in a science laboratory.