The project combined two existing 2-story buildings, both then vacant. The 1914 brick and terra-cotta building at 120 18th Street South, originally built for the National Biscuit Company later housed the offices of attorney Robert Lewis. The ground floor of that building was renovated as office space for developer Shannon-Waltchack Investment Real Estate, and human resources consultant Enrollment Advisors. Shannon-Waltchack relocated from its former offices in Vestavia Hills. Other tenants include Retail Specialists Inc. and Brand by Details Communications.
The upper floor and the adjoining building at 1720 2nd Avenue North, a former paper warehouse constructed in 1905, was originally to have been renovated in a later phase, with 20 to 25 loft residences and ground floor retail or office space. Instead the UAB Print Shop and UAB Post Office leased that space, relocating from space vacated for construction of Regions Field. The adjacent vacant lots will be used for parking.
Cohen Carnaggio Reynolds provided the architectural designs for the renovation, re-purposing salvaged materials wherever possible. G&B Enterprises Inc. was the general contractor. The Birmingham City Council's Economic Development Committee granted the developer a Birmingham Business Development Loan to purchase the two buildings in February 2011.
- Kent, Dawn (December 26, 2010) "Rehab plans chugging around Birmingham's popular Railroad Park." The Birmingham News
- Bryant, Joseph, and Dawn Kent (February 8, 2011) "Project near park gets boost from city." The Birmingham News
- Kent, Dawn (May 18, 2012) "Railroad Square development to open this summer near Birmingham's Railroad Park." The Birmingham News