Rocky Ridge Elementary School
|Rocky Ridge Elementary School|
|Colors||Green and yellow|
|Location||2876 Old Rocky Ridge Road|
Rocky Ridge Elementary School is located at 2876 Old Rocky Ridge Road in Hoover. Dr. Dilhani Uswatte has been the principal since 2014. As of 2019, it has 578 students in grades K-5th grade with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1.
The school was part of the Jefferson County School System until the Hoover City School system was formed in 1988 and subsequently took over operation of the school.
The first school was a subscription school named Rocky Ridge School that was organized in the 1850's. It met in the Rocky Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church located across the street from the current school grounds. In 1881 the church deeded land to build a new school and then in 1893 a better, wood-framed structure was completed to replace the former log cabin. Another structure was completed in 1927 and was used until the current school buildings were constructed in 1966. The original buildings that were built in 1966 contained 35 rooms, a gymnasium, library, community room, band room, offices, and other facilities. An additional building was added in 1973 and other buildings were added in the 1990's.
- Edwin Watkins, (1912-1943)
- Sara Manning, (1943-1947)
- Sara Pritchett, (1947-1955)
- Nelle Castleberry, (1955-1971)
- Margaret Vines, (1971-1976)
- Anne Jordan, (1976-?)
- Sonia Carrington (2002-2014)
- Dilhani Uswatte (2014-)
- Barefield,Marilyn Davis (1992) A History of Hoover, Alabama and Its People. Hoover: Hoover Historical Society/Southern University Press ISBN 0876519419
- Anderson, Jon (February 10, 2014) "Rocky Ridge Elementary Principal Sonia Carrington to retire April 1" The Birmingham News
- Anderson, Jon (March 17, 2014) "New principal named for Rocky Ridge Elementary School in Hoover" The Birmingham News