Rosedale Pump House

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Rosedale Pump House is a Romanesque-style building, constructed in 1910 to house pumping equipment for the Birmingham Water Works. It is located on 20th Street South / Woodcrest Place in Rosedale, now part of Homewood, near the SouthBridge business park and the Elton B. Stephens Expressway and U.S. Highway 280 interchange.

The 2,700 square-foot, one-story brick building is clad with rusticated brick, trimmed with limestone. The interior is lit with large arched windows and wide dormers in its hipped slate roof.

The pumps draw water from the Shades Mountain Water Treatment Plant, which then falls by gravity through the Birmingham Water Works Tunnel into downtown Birmingham. It was originally powered by steam, and still has a tall brick smokestack for its boiler.

External links

Locate with
Google Maps