Sea Lion Pool
The Sea Lion Pool was dedicated at the Birmingham Zoo on May 8, 1974. It was funded by Parisian stores and the members and friends of the Alabama Zoological Society as a gift "to all children". The architects were Felton Collier and Caroll Harmon and it was constructed by the Montabana Corporation.
On April 3, 2007 the exhibit was expanded into the Sea Lion Splash Show with a newly-resurfaced pool area, new bleacher seating, a net shade covering and other additions sponsored by Red Diamond. Along with the opening of the remodeled exhibit, the zoo introduced two new sea lions, Bart and Cicely who, along with Triton, perform daily shows to further the zoo's educational mission by showing off the personalities of marine mammals.
This list is incomplete and may never satisfy any subjective standard for completeness. You can help Bhamwiki by.
The following is a list of sea lions and the years they called the Birmingham Zoo home. Sea lions live an average of 30 years in captivity.
- Name unknown, 1975–1984 (died)
- Shy, 1975–1992 (died)
- Jaws, 1975–1998 (died)
- Rumplesealskin, 1975–2000 (died)
- Julie, 1975–2005 (died)
- Emil, 1980 (born)–1981 (died)
- Name unknown, June 1985 (born)–September 1985 (died)
- Name unknown, June 1986 (born)–August 1986 (died)
- Name unknown, 1986 (born)–1989 (released)
- Name unknown, May 1987 (born)–July 1987 (died)
- Name unknown, 1988 (born)–1989 (released)
- Neptune, 1989 (born)–1992 (died)
- Triton, 1990 (born)–2010 (transferred)
- Bart, 2007–2010 (transferred)
- Cicely, 2007–2010 (transferred)
- Farley, 2010–present
- Giovanni, 2010–present
- "Popular Sea Lion Dies At Zoo In Birmingham." (September 18, 2000). The Tuscaloosa News. Accessed via Google News Archive on February 26, 2014.
- "Sea lion fans get front-row seat at feeding time." (April 6, 2007) Birmingham News
- "Database: U.S. Marine Mammal Inventory." (March 24, 2010). Sun-Sentinel (from National Marine Fisheries Service data). Accessed February 26, 2014.