Seal of Birmingham

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Seal of birmingham.jpg

The (Official) Seal of the City of Birmingham is used on official documents and as an insignia on property owned and operated by the city of Birmingham.

The current seal is circular and depicts Vulcan on his pedestal, seen from behind overlooking the city's skyline (as it existed prior to the construction of the Bank for Savings Building in 1962). An airplane crosses from left to right (west to east, toward the airport) and smokestacks are seen on the far right, in the rough location of Sloss Furnaces.

Below the skyline, nine lines converge at the center of the circle. Around the perimeter are the words "Official Seal" (top, flanked by 5-pointed stars) and "Birmingham, Alabama" (bottom).

History

When the City first issued municipal bonds in 1882 for construction of the first Birmingham City Hall, the city had no seal and issued the documents under the seal of the Elyton Land Company.

An earlier seal, used in 1950, features a line drawing of an industrial plant with five 5-pointed stars below it. The perimeter text reads "City of Birmingham, Ala." and is surrounded by a rope-design.

During the Birmingham Centennial in 1971 a special commemorative seal was used, featuring a frontal view of Vulcan holding his neon torch and an updated skyline featuring the Birmingham City Hall surrounded with the words "BIRMINGHAM CENTENNIAL" and the dates "1871" and "1971". A second motto "CENTURY OF MAGIC" curves below Vulcan between mine rails anchored with a mine car at either end. The seal was also featured on a commemorative coin, with the new Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center on the reverse. There is at least one example of the coin on the internet with a reverse showing Vulcan on his pedestal, with the words "Vulcan's Dedication" and the date "April 8, 1972" around the edge, separated by two small circles.

See also

References