Shelby County Highway 263
Shelby County Highway 263, also known as Old Highway 31, is a two-mile, northwest-southeast road mostly paralleling 1st Street (U.S. Highway 31) in Alabaster to the street's southwest, near I-65 exit 238. Both ends of the road terminate at 1st Street. Some of the predominantly residential and wooded road is in the Alabaster city limits while other portions are unincorporated.
As revealed by its alternate name, Shelby County Highway 263 was originally part of U.S. Highway 31. The highway was rerouted to its current route in the mid-20th century, shortly before the construction of Interstate 65, leaving this original segment as a less-used road.
The road's northern terminus is about 770 feet south-southeast of the intersection of 1st Street and Simmsville Road/Alabama State Highway 119. From the the road heads due south before turning southeast to parallel the current Highway 31. As it approaches Interstate 65, 263 turns south-southeast to parallel the interstate before passing underneath it. The interstate's bridge span there crosses both 263 and the CSX Transportation railroad alongside it as 263 turns southeast and then east-southeast to its southern terminus is approximately 1000 feet southeast of the 1st Street and Fulton Springs Road intersection.
Highway 263 closely follows the path of the railroad to its southeast, except for a short section in the middle of the road's route where the railroad goes further west than the road.
- Northern terminus at 1st Street Alabaster
- 9th Way SE Alabaster intersection (east only)
- 10th Avenue SE Alabaster intersection (northeast only)
- Hill Top Road intersection (northeast only)
- 11th Avenue SE Alabaster intersection (northeast only)
- 12th Avenue SE Alabaster intersection (northeast only)
- 13th Avenue SE Alabaster intersection (northeast only)
- 16th Avenue SE Alabaster intersection (west only)
- Cement Plant Road intersection (southwest only)
- Pony Drive intersection (south only)
- Shadow Drive intersection (north only)
- Fulton Springs Road intersection
- Southern terminus at 1st Street Alabaster (southbound access only)
|Current U.S. Highway 31||Independence Dr.||Montgomery Hwy||Montgomery Hwy||Pelham Parkway||1st Street|
|Previous routes||18th St S, 29th Ave S, Old Montgomery Hwy||Lorna Road, Old Montgomery Hwy||Old Montgomery Hwy||Old Highway 31|