Sloan Bashinsky Jr
Bashinsky is the son of former Golden Flake CEO Sloan Bashinsky Sr. He earned his bachelor's degree in economics at Vanderbilt University and his Juris Doctorate at the University of Alabama School of Law, where he also completed an LL.M in tax law. He clerked for Judge Clarence Allgood and served as a marketing and advertising director for Golden Flake and practiced law in Birmingham.
Bashinsky is the author of several books on real estate, law and other topics.
In 2000 Bashinsky dropped his last name, becoming Sloan Young. He moved out of the country for a while, then settled in Key West, Florida and was, for a time, homeless. After retaking his birth name, he inherited a portion of his father's estate in 2003. He ran for mayor of Key West in 2007, 2009 and 2018. In his first campaigns, he pledged to create a nude beach. He finished last in both races. In 2018 he used his time at a candidate forum to take a phone call from "God", whom he claimed told him to run, despite his own conclusion that, "anyone who wants this job is insane."
- Bashinsky, Sloan (1984) Home Buyers: Lambs to the Slaughter? Prentice Hall ISBN 0671557297
- Bashinsky, Sloan (1985) Selling Your Home Sweet Home. Simon & Schuster ISBN 0671602136
- Bashinsky, Sloan (1986) Kill All the Lawyers? a Client's Guide to Hiring, Firing, Using, and Suing Lawyers. Prentice-Hall ISBN 0671604686
- Bashinsky, Sloan (1990) The High Legal Road: A New Approach to Legal Problems. Essential Books ISBN 0929077997
- Bashinsky, Sloan (1992) Prisons & Freedom. self-published
- Bashinsky, Sloan (n. d.) A Few Remarkable People I Have Known. self-published
- Bashinsky, Sloan (2006) Heavy Wait: A Strange Tale. self-published/PublishAmerica ISBN 1424159644
- Kinney, Sean (February 27, 2009) "Group wants to improve Higgs Beach" Key West Keynoter
- Koler, Josie (September 5, 2009) "Elections 2009: Key West Mayoral Races." Keys Weekly
- Myers, Shanisty (March 22, 2010) "An Emotional Sloan Bashinsky: Exclusive Interview with Major's Brother." CBS 42
- Filosa, Gwendolyn (July 24, 2018) "This candidate for mayor took a phone call from God in the middle of a debate." Florida Keys News
- Good Morning Key West weblog