Snoozy's College Bookstore
With help from his family, Jones opened the first store on three joined lots on 11th Avenue South near the UAB campus. It was named for Jones' father George "Snoozy" Jones, who earned his nickname in infancy. The store was an outgrowth of Snoozy's business of selling sportswear to college bookstores around the South.
The store later added locations at Jefferson State Community College's two campuses in Center Point and Shelby County, as well as a Snoozy's Kids in Crestline Village and another store in Hanceville. The Center Point location has since closed, and the Hanceville store was sold to an employee. The Shelby County location now carries a full line of teacher and parent school supplies under the name Snoozy's School Tools as well as college materials for Jeff State students.
In 2002 the main Snoozy's store at UAB relocated to a new building at 1321 10th Avenue South as its old location was bought for an expansion to Glen Iris Elementary School. The building also houses a Subway sandwich shop. Snoozy's is the official retail outlet for UAB's Gang Green and the UAB National Alumni Society.
Jones chose to retire from business in 2017 and offered the property for sale to UAB. The store closed in December of that year.
In 2019, the former store location on 10th Avenue South was renovated for a facility that will house UAB’s Honors College and also provide additional space for the Spencer Honors House. The renovation comprised the entire two-story, 11,000-square-foot structure with a total construction cost of $2.69 million. The exterior grounds were leveled and developed into a landscaped courtyard.
- Kinzly, Allen (March 5, 2002), "Snoozy's bookstore relocating." The Kaleidoscope
- Coman, Victoria L. (September 4, 2007) "Snoozy's bookstore at UAB marks 25 years." The Birmingham News
- Edgemon, Erin (December 13, 2017) "Snoozy's College Bookstore at UAB to close after 34 years." The Birmingham News
- Greer, Tyler (June 7, 2019) "New IT facility, home for Honors College get final approval" UAB News
- Snoozy's College Bookstore website