Starbucks is an international coffee and coffeehouse chain based in Seattle, Washington. Starbucks is the largest coffeehouse company in the world, with 15,012 stores in 44 countries. Starbucks sells drip brewed coffee, espresso-based hot drinks, other hot and cold drinks, snacks, and items such as mugs and coffee beans. Many of the company's products are seasonal or specific to the locality of the store. As of August 2008 the company operated 28 stores within the Birmingham District.
With the company seeing a rapid expansion by the late 1990s, Starbucks was seeing locations for its first stand-alone Birmingham store by 2000. In May 2000 it was announced that Joe Muggs has secured the lease for the property at 1101 20th Street South. At the time of this announcement it was revealed that Starbucks had coveted that spot for its first Birmingham location. The first stand-alone store in Birmingham would open in the Munger Building in February 2001.
In July 2008 several underperforming Birmingham-area locations closed as part of a national effort to reduce losses. Among them was the location at 801 20th Street South, immediately adjacent to Lucy's Coffee and Tea. The closure of that location was hailed as a victory for a locally owned coffee shop over an international corporate giant.
- Furguson Center at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa (the first location in the state of Alabama)
- 1901 13th Avenue East in the Target Supercenter, Tuscaloosa
- 1800 McFarland Boulevard, Tuscaloosa
- 201 Summit Boulevard in the Barnes & Noble, The Summit (opened in 1997)
- 4616 U.S. Highway 280 South in the Target Supercenter, Inverness (opened in 2000)
- 1654 Gadsden Highway in the Target Supercenter, Trussville (opened in 2000)
- 1420 Gadsden Highway, Trussville
- 3032 John Hawkins Parkway, Hoover
- 4710 U.S. Highway 280 East, Hoover
- 1584 Montgomery Highway, Hoover
- 3000 Riverchase Galleria, Hoover
- 5405 U.S. Highway 280 East, Inverness
- 1927 11th Avenue South in the Munger Building, Five Points South (opened in February 2001)
- 810 St. Vincent's Drive, St. Vincent's Hospital
- 916 19th Street South, UAB Hospital North Pavilion food court
- 2738 Cahaba Road, Mountain Brook (opened in June 2001)
- 1658 Montclair Road, Eastwood Village (opened 2007)
- 3130 Cahaba Heights Road, Cahaba Heights
- 700 Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills
- 231 State Farm Parkway, Homewood
- 1830 29th Avenue South, Homewood
- 2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive, Brookwood Medical Center
- 4889 Promenade Parkway in the Target Supercenter, Bessemer
- 2171 Kent Dairy Road, Alabaster
- 345 South Colonial Drive, Alabaster
- 250 South Colonial Drive, Alabaster
- 3489 Lowery Parkway in the Target Supercenter, Fultondale
 Former locations
- 801 20th Street South, Five Points South (opened October 2005, closed July 2008)
- 2831 18th Street South, Homewood (closed July 2008)
- 9190 Parkway East, Roebuck (opened May 2006, closed August 2008)
- 2531 Rocky Ridge Road, Vestavia Hills (closed August 2008)
- 3780 Riverchase Village Shopping Center, Hoover (opened in 2000)
- 81 Church Street, in the Crestline Village, Mountain Brook (opened in March 2001, closed 2011)
- Starbucks. (2008, August 3). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 16:50, August 3, 2008, from 
- Pratt, Ted (May 10, 2000) "Joe Muggs beats out Starbucks for Five Points South location". Birmingham News.
- Tomberlin, Michael (July 10, 2008) "Starbucks closing two locations Local shops still percolating as coffee colossus downsizes". Birmingham News.
- News Staff (July 19, 2008) "Starbucks closing in Roebuck, Vestavia". Birmingham News.