The Birmingham Chronicle
The Birmingham Chronicle (published as The Birmingham Sunday Chronicle, The Daily Chronicle and The Birmingham Evening Chronicle) was a daily newspaper published in Birmingham from around 1883 to April 1890. Its offices were located at 1912½ 1st Avenue North.
The Chronicle was published by Frank Evans, a former partner in the Iron Age Publishing Company, and edited by George Cruikshank, the former publisher of The Talladega Reporter. The paper was launched with its Sunday edition and later, after David Grace joined the partnership as a writer and local editor, began publishing each afternoon. It was known for its progressive editorial stance and for its insightful coverage of local industrial and political conditions. The paper was credited for popularizing support among Alabama Democrats for protective tariffs to boost industry.
In 1886 subscriptions to the Chronicle were $6 per year or 50¢ per month for the daily edition and $1 per year for the Sunday edition. In 1887, the Chronicle had a daily circulation of over 2,500 which the publishers claimed was the largest circulation in both the city and county.
Evans, who held a number of posts in city government, sold his interest in the paper during the financial crisis of the mid-1880s. Cruikshank and Grace then sold the paper to Walter Hawley, who quickly turned it over to Sloss Iron & Steel Company president and future Governor of Alabama Joseph Johnston.