- This article is about the shopping center at I-459. For other uses, see The Grove (disambiguation).
The Grove is a shopping development at the intersection of Interstate 459 and John Hawkins Parkway in Hoover. Stores in the $100 million, 634,000 square-foot retail center began opening in September 2009. A new road known as Grove Boulevard, connecting John Hawkins Parkway with Sulphur Springs Road, was constructed for the retail portion of the development. An additional 72 acres was reserved for residential development, but no definitive plans have been announced.
Plans for The Grove were unveiled by Apple Development LLC in 2006. In 2007, the development was purchased by Kimco Developers Inc. for $20.6 million. Apple remained involved as a partner. With the announcement of the sale, it was also announced that Target, Lowe's, Kohl's, and Best Buy would be anchors for the shopping center. Additional tenants announced since the sale included Compass Bank.
In February 2009 the developers announced Petco, Chick-Fil-A and Superior Bank as additional tenants. Smaller stores began opening in September 2009. The primary anchor, a Super Target, had a soft opening on October 6 with its grand opening held on October 11. Kohl's held its grand opening almost a year later, on September 29, 2010.
The Shopping Center Group took over leasing for The Grove in February 2014. They built out the former Lowe's parcel for At Home. In December 2022 the shopping center was purchased for $26.2 million by Peterson Development of Brea, California.
- 5501: At Home (built 2014)
- 5513: Kohl's (2009–, downsized 2019)
- 5529: Anytime Fitness (2018–), former location of Rue 21 (2011)
- 5533: Profile Sanford weight loss coaching (2020)
- 5539: Shoe Carnival
- 5541: former location of Mattress Firm (2011)
- 5543: Spectrum (2018–), former location of Maurice's (2011)
- 5549: Goldfish Swim School (2022–), former location of Spirit Halloween (2018), Honeybaked Market (2019–2020)
- 5561: Super Target (2009–)
- 5583: Marshalls (built before 2015)
- 5619: Eyemart Express, former location of Eye Max
- 5623: Let's Play Hoover
- 5643: Dollar Tree
- 5631: Petco
- 5561: Frontera Mexican Grill
- Cooper, Lauren B. (July 9, 2007) "Hoover to get Target." Birmingham Business Journal
- Cooper, Lauren B. (September 9, 2008) "Books-A-Million to open store in new Hoover project." Birmingham Business Journal
- Kent, Dawn (March 3, 2009) "Two metro projects signing up `best-in-class' tenants." The Birmingham News
- "The Grove forges ahead in '08, despite tough times in retail." (March 27, 2009) Birmingham Business Journal
- Cooper, Lauren B. (October 7, 2009) "New Target opens at The Grove." Birmingham Business Journal
- McMillan, Aneesa (September 15, 2010) "Kohl's sets date to open Hoover store." Birmingham Business Journal
- Anderson, Jon (March 25, 2019) "The Grove tries to fill up amid retail challenges." Hoover Sun
- Parker, Illyshia (December 16, 2022) "Target-anchored retail property sold for $26.2M." Birmingham Business Journal
- The Grove at Kimco Realty Corporation