- This article is about the shopping and residential development at I-459. For other uses, see The Grove (disambiguation).
The Grove is a shopping development at the intersection of Interstate 459 and John Hawkins Parkway in Hoover. Stores in the $100 million, 634,000 square foot retail center began opening in September 2009. A new road known as Grove Boulevard, connecting John Hawkins Parkway with Sulphur Springs Road, was constructed for the retail portion of the development. An additional 72 acres has been reserved for residential development, but no definitive plans have been announced.
With the announcement of the sale, it was also announced that Target, Lowe's, Kohl's, and Best Buy would be anchors for the shopping center, although Best Buy canceled their plans later. Additional tenants announced since the sale include Books-A-Million and Compass Bank. In February 2009 the developers announced Petco, Chik-Fil-A and Superior Bank as additional tenants. Smaller stores began opening in September 2009. The primary anchor, a Super Target, had a soft opening on October 6 with its grand opening held on October 11. Kohl's held its grand opening almost a year later, on September 29, 2010.
- Cooper, Lauren B. (July 9, 2007). "Hoover to get Target." Birmingham Business Journal
- Cooper, Lauren B. (September 9, 2008). "Books-A-Million to open store in new Hoover project." Birmingham Business Journal
- Kent, Dawn (March 3, 2009) "Two metro projects signing up `best-in-class' tenants." Birmingham News
- "The Grove forges ahead in '08, despite tough times in retail." (March 27, 2009) Birmingham Business Journal
- Cooper, Lauren B. (October 7, 2009) "New Target opens at The Grove." Birmingham Business Journal.
- McMillan, Aneesa . (September 15, 2010). "Kohl's sets date to open Hoover store." Birmingham Business Journal.
- The Grove at Kimco Realty Corporation