Birmingham Mountain Radio
Birmingham Mountain Radio, or The Mountain is a radio station featuring a rock and adult album alternative format and an emphasis on local and regional bands and events.
The station was founded as an internet-only broadcast on December 13, 2010 by Geno Pearson, Jeff Clanton and Jeremy Harper. The three had talked about launching an internet station to highlight the local music scene before the debut of Live 100.5 in 2008. When that station switched to a news-talk format in 2010, they decided to fill the void.
Scott Register's long-running Reg's Coffee House program returned to life on the station. Register also serves as the morning DJ. Mid-days are covered by another Live 100.5 alumnus, Dru Cunningham while Vulture Whale bandmates Jake Waitzman, Les Nuby and Wes McDonald rotate on afternoon shifts. Will and Reed Lochamy co-host a Thursday evening call-in show based on their Oh Brother Radio podcast series.
First 13 tracks
Birmingham News columnist Matt Cuthbert noted the first 13 songs played on the newly-launched station:
- Jane's Addiction - "Mountain Song"
- Muse - "Uprising"
- R.E.M. - "I'm Gonna DJ"
- INXS - "Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain)"
- Mumford & Sons - "The Cave"
- Band of Horses - "Laredo"
- Silversun Pickups - "Substitution"
- Pete Yorn - "Life on a Chain"
- Spoon - "Don't You Evah"
- Remy Zero - "'Til the End"
- Needtobreathe - "Something Beautiful"
- Sara Bareilles - "King of Anything"
- MuteMath - "Typical"
- George, Sam (November 18, 2010) "Kings of the Mountain: Internet Radio Station Picks Up Where Live 100.5 Left Off." Birmingham Weekly
- Cuthbert, Matt (December 13, 2010) "Internet music station Mountain Radio launches in Birmingham." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (December 14, 2010) "Birmingham music lovers have a new alt-rock radio station as the Mountain launches on the internet." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 2, 2013) "Internet station Birmingham Mountain Radio begins broadcasting over-the-air today on 107.3 FM." The Birmingham News