Thomas Owen residence
The Thomas Owen residence or Owen Plantation house is located on Eastern Valley Road in McCalla. It was originally a one story, two room house that became the dining and kitchen wing when it became incorporated into a larger structure. The original residence was built by Thomas H. Owen in 1833 when he married Melissa Sadler. Owen was a general store owner and a founder of the Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, along with Pleasant Hill Academy. In 1838 he started enlarging the house to its present structure. He bequeathed the plantation to his son, Rose Owen, who then made it his summer residence. It was donated to the West Jefferson County Historical Society and added to the NRHP in 1976.
- Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama. Birmingham: Jefferson County Historical Commission/Gray Printing Company