He is a graduate of the culinary program at Johnson & Wales University and worked for a while at Trump Castle in Atlantic City, New Jersey before finding a better opportunity at Commander's Palace in New Orleans, working with Tory McPhail under legendary chef Jamie Shannon.
In May 2007, Robey, then a sous chef at Commander's, accepted the position of executive chef at Veranda on Highland Avenue. After his arrival he added numerous creole-inspired entrees and specialties to the restaurant's menu. In 2012 he returned to New Orleans, rejoining McPhail who was promoted to executive chef of Commander's Palace after Shannon's death in 2001. Fellow Commander's alumnus Jeffrey Hansell succeeded him at Veranda.
Robey won the first three Iron City Chef competitions before his departure for New Orleans.
- O'Hara, Jo Ellen (August 15, 2007) "New flavor at Veranda on Highland". The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 28, 2010) "Thomas Robey of the Veranda on Highland defends title at Birmingham's Iron City Chef cookoff." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 14, 2011) "Thomas Robey of Birmingham's Veranda on Highland returns to defend Iron City Chef title." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 22, 2011) "Thomas Robey of Birmingham's Veranda on Highland wins third straight Iron City Chef title." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (February 17, 2012) "Robey is leaving the Veranda for New Orleans." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 17, 2012) "Birmingham chefs compete in Vestavia Hills Rotary Club's 4th annual Iron City Chef showdown." The Birmingham News