Thomas Robey Jr (born February 1968 in Ocean City, New Jersey; died February 2023 in New Orleans, Louisiana) was the executive chef at the Veranda on Highland from 2007 to 2012.
Tom, the son of Thomas and Betty Robey, graduated from Ocean City High School in 1985 and completed the culinary program at Johnson & Wales University. He worked for a while at Trump Castle in Atlantic City, New Jersey before finding a better opportunity at Commander's Palace, working with Tory McPhail under legendary chef Jamie Shannon.
In May 2007, Robey, then a sous-chef at Commander's, accepted the position of executive chef at Veranda on Highland Avenue. After his arrival he added numerous creole-inspired entrees and specialties to the restaurant's menu. During his time in the city he also claimed victory in each of the first three Iron City Chef competitions.
In 2012 Robey returned to New Orleans to rejoin McPhail, who has been promoted to executive chef of Commander's Palace after Shannon's death in 2001. Fellow Commander's alumnus Jeffrey Hansell succeeded him at Veranda. Robey made several return trips to Alabama as a guest of The Bright Star for their annual "Night in New Orleans" events.
In addition to Commander's Palace, Robey worked at Kingfish, Gris-Gris, and Tujague's restaurants in New Orleans and at Palmettos on the Bayou in Slidell, Louisiana. He died unexpectedly in early February 2023.
- O'Hara, Jo Ellen (August 15, 2007) "New flavor at Veranda on Highland". The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 28, 2010) "Thomas Robey of the Veranda on Highland defends title at Birmingham's Iron City Chef cookoff." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 14, 2011) "Thomas Robey of Birmingham's Veranda on Highland returns to defend Iron City Chef title." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 22, 2011) "Thomas Robey of Birmingham's Veranda on Highland wins third straight Iron City Chef title." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (February 17, 2012) "Robey is leaving the Veranda for New Orleans." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 17, 2012) "Birmingham chefs compete in Vestavia Hills Rotary Club's 4th annual Iron City Chef showdown." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (July 27, 2019) "New Orleans chef returns to Alabama’s oldest restaurant." The Birmingham News
- "Thomas Robey" obituary (February 3, 2023) Legacy Remembers