UAB Health System
The UAB Health System (UABHS) is a partnership between UAB and the University of Alabama Health Services Foundation (UAHSF), a private nonprofit medical practice made up of the faculty of the UAB School of Medicine. UABHS is governed by a board of directors which has representatives of UAHSF, the University of Alabama Board of Trustees, and UAB administrators. The UAB president is the ex officio chairperson of the UAB Health System. The CEO of the UABHS reports directly to the UAB Health System board and is appointed by the chairman of the board.
- Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital
- Kirklin Clinic
- Spain Rehabilitation Center
- UAB Medicine Women and Infants Center
- UAB Hospital
- UAB Hospital-Highlands
- UAB Medicine Health Centers, clinics operated and staffed by UABHS located throughout central Alabama
- Viva Health
- Michael Geheb, August 21, 1995–August 31, 1999
- David Fine, September 1, 1999–May 2004
- David Hoidal (interim), May–August 4, 2004
- David Hoidal, August 5, 2004–January 3, 2008
- Ray Watts (interim), January 4–September 2008
- Will Ferniany, September 2008–July 2020
- Reid Jones, July 2020–June 2022
- Dawn Bulgarella (interim), June 2022–February 2023
- Dawn Bulgarella, February 2023–
- October 1, 1996: UAB Health System, a nonprofit entity, established in a joint operating agreement between The University of Alabama Board of Trustees and the University of Alabama Health Services Foundation.
- July 1, 1997: The independent Eye Foundation Hospital was acquired by the UAB Health System and renamed the Eye Foundation Hospital at UAB.
- 2001: The UAB Health System and the Children's Health System announced the approval of a joint operating agreement that covered all pediatric and inpatient women's services and created the nonprofit entity, CWH.
- August 1, 2005: The UAB Health System took over management of the Healthsouth Medical Center while a $33 million sale of the center in Birmingham’s Southside remained pending. The center campus included the main hospital complex, two professional office buildings, parking for over 1,400 cars, and several outlying structures.
- July 1, 2020: The University of Alabama Board of Trustees approved the creation of the UAB Health System Authority. Will Ferniany became the first CEO of the new authority. He was also named as the CEO of the new UAB Health System/Ascension St. Vincent's alliance.