UAB School of Dentistry
The UAB School of Dentistry is located in the UAB School of Dentistry Building at 1919 7th Avenue South in the UAB Medical Center. The current dean is Russell Taichman.
It was created by an act of the state legislature in 1945, the same year that the School of Medicine moved to Birmingham from the university campus in Tuscaloosa and became a four-year school. Initially, no funding was available for the school until the legislature appropriated funding in 1947. This led to the first dean and faculty members being hired in 1948. The School of Dentistry admitted its first class of students in October 1948. Major funding for the building came from the Hill-Burton Hospital Survey & Construction Act.
- In 1948, Dr. Joseph F. Volker was named first dean of the School.
- In 1952, the School graduated its first class.
- In 1962, Dr. Charles A. McCallum, Jr. became the second dean of the School.
- In 1976, the Medical and Dental Basic Science Building and Dental Clinic was rededicated as the School of Dentistry Building.
- In 1978, Dr. Leonard H. Robinson became the third dean of the School.
- In 1986, Dr. Richard R. Ranney became the fourth dean of the School.
- In 1989, Dr. Victor J. Matukas was named interim dean of the School and he was named as dean the following year.
- In 1997, Dr. Mary Lynne Capilouto was named interim dean of the School and she was named as dean the following year.
- In 2000, A major renovation was completed in the School of Dentistry Building.
- In 2004, Dr. Huw F. Thomas became the seventh dean of the School.
- In 2011, Dr. Michael S. Reddy was named as interim dean of the School and he was named as dean the following year.
- In 2018, Dr. Michelle A. Robinson became interim dean of the School.
- In 2019, Dr. Russell S. Taichman became the ninth dean of the School.
In September 2022 the school was awarded a 5-year, $3.2 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to support its Dental Academic Research Training (DART) program for mentorship and professional development.
- UAB Chronological history
- Howell, Josie (October 1, 2022) "UAB School of Dentistry receives $3.2 million grant." The Birmingham News
- UAB School of Dentistry website