Velma's Place

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Velma's Place was a bar and grill located at 1911 Gadsden Highway in Trussville. The bar was founded in 1938 and named for the founder's wife. Since then it has moved at least once and changed owners several times. It was most recently owned by Frances Salumn.

Velma's Place serves lunch and dinner and is known for its burgers and BLTs. Karaoke was offered nightly.

Terry Simmons, who at one point owned the bar, sold the business and leased the property to Salumn in 1996. In 2009 the lease became a month-to-month agreement. In 2012 Simmons accepted an offer from restaurateur Matthew Norman, who invested $73,000 in improvements and open his Parish Seafood and Oyster House in the building. Velma's was asked to vacate before August 17. At the time of its closing, Velma's was the only licensed bar in the city limits of Trussville.

Salumn began exploring other potential locations for Velma's Place, including the former Tipsy's bar nearby inside the Birmingham city limits. As of March 2014 Velma's had not relocated.

References

  • McAlister, Laura, Joe O'Donnell, Mary Ellen Stancill and Carla Jean Whitley (2009) "The Drinker's Dozen" Birmingham magazine
  • Headley, Alex (July 24, 2012) "Velma’s Place vacating its current location by mid-August." Trussville Tribune
  • Tidmore, Tina (July 25, 2012) "Velma’s owner: “It ain’t over yet”." Trussville Tribune