Warren & Welton
Warren & Welton was a short-lived architectural practice formed by Montgomery native William Warren and William Leslie Welton of Nebraska. The two met as employees of the New York firm of McKim, Meade & White. They had already solicited work in the fast-growing city of Birmingham, and published an unbuilt proposal for Southside Baptist Church. They moved South in 1907 to oversee construction of the Empire Building, which they had designed along with J. E. R. Carpenter of Carpenter & Blair in New York.
Warren & Welton opened an office in the completed Empire Building in 1909 and were successful in gaining commissions for other important projects such as the Alabama Boys Industrial School in Roebuck and the Lincoln Life Building, along with several residences and interiors. The partners split up in 1910, with Warren finding Welton's aggressiveness in marketing his services to be unpalatable. Warren went on to partner with Eugene Knight in the firm that became well-known as Warren, Knight & Davis. Welton continued to practice on his own, with several large buildings to his credit.