Wheeler Business College

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Wheeler Business College logo.jpg

The Wheeler Business College (originally Birmingham Business College) was a vocational school founded about 1888 by Amos Ward. Willard Wheeler joined the faculty in 1895 and took over as owner and president before 1902.

The college, operating from the building at 1909-17 1st Avenue North, taught typing, shorthand, accounting, business law and similar courses to fill demand for clerical workers in the South's rapidly changing economy. It offered day and night courses.

References

  • Owen, Thomas McAdory and Marie Bankhead Owen (1921) History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. 4 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.