Wilson Elementary School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Wilson Elementary School
Wilson Elementary School.jpg
Active 19282010
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades K-6
Colors
Mascot
Location 1030 4th Terrace West, (map)
Birmingham

Woodrow Wilson Elementary School is an elementary school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 1030 4th Terrace West near Birmingham-Southern College in the Bush Hills neighborhood of Ensley. Donnetta Brown was principal until her death in May 2010, and was succeeded by former administrator Linda Parson.

The red brick school was constructed in 1928 and was named for former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson. Although the school was designed for a maximum of 250 students, it was housing as many as 375 within two years of opening. Under principal R. H. Price the school experimented with the "Dalton System" to accommodate an individualized pace of instruction.

In the early 1950s, the school's Parent-Teacher Association helped organize an extensive system of "pre-schools" with lectures and presentations for parents whose children would soon be attending Wilson School. In February 1957 a group of parents petitioned Superintendent L. Frazier Banks and the Birmingham Board of Education to remove principal M. P. Gray, complaining of excessive corporal punishment. The PTA backed Gray, and he was not disciplined. That October a 6-room addition and a new gymnasium and cafeteria were completed with funds from the 1956 Birmingham bond issue.

Under the school consolidation plan proposed by acting superintendent Barbara Allen and approved by the Board of Education, Woodrow Wilson Elementary closed in the summer of 2010, with students transferring into Glenn Middle School.

Principals

References