24th Street Viaduct
The 24th Street Viaduct is a road bridge connecting 24th Street South to 24th Street North over the Railroad Reservation, Morris Avenue to the north and 1st Avenue South and what was the Powell Avenue right-of-way to the south. The viaduct carries traffic for U.S. Highway 78. Prior to the completion of the Elton B. Stephens Expressway, it also carried traffic for U.S. Highway 31.
Construction of the original span commenced on June 1, 1925 and was completed in July 1926 at a total cost of $330,000. The first car to cross the bridge, early on the evening of July 7, was driven by Mayor Jimmie Jones carrying Commissioners William Dickson and John H. Taylor, as well as city engineer A. J. Hawkins. New traffic lights were installed at the same time at the intersections of 24th Street with 1st Avenue North and 2nd Avenue North.
By the 1980s, it was becoming apparent the aging bridge would need to be replaced due to its deteriorating state. In November 1993, ALDOT announced it has received a $3.96 million federal grant from the Intermodal Surface and Transportation Efficiency Act to replace the viaduct. Funding from this source encouraged the replacement to be reminiscent of the original structure. In January 1994, the span was closed, and by May, it was completely demolished.
Taking 21 months to complete from the initial closure of the viaduct, on Wednesday, October 18, 1995, at 11:30 a.m., the new span was officially dedicated. In attendance at the ceremony were governor Fob James in addition to officials from ALDOT, the City of Birmingham, Operation New Birmingham and the Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce. It was constructed by R.R. Dawson Bridge Company, and was completed three months ahead of schedule.
Costing just under $4 million to complete, the viaduct is 57 feet wide and carries four lanes of traffic. Unlike the original, the 1995 span only has a sidewalk on the western side as opposed to both. Additionally, the new span utilizes lighting fixtures similar to those on the historic Rainbow and 22nd Street viaducts.
As part of its rededication events, on the evening of October 28 the viaduct was closed to traffic for the Viaduct Spook-a-delic Halloween party. The concert event attracted over 7,500 people to the bridge.
- Birmingham Chamber of Commerce (May 1925) "Industrial Activities", Birmingham Vol. 1, No. 2
- "New 24th. St. Viaduct To Be Ready Late Today." (July 7, 1926) Birmingham Post
- Bryant, Walter (November 17, 1993) "Rebuilding of 24th Street bridge will close span for about two years." The Birmingham News
- Faulk, Kent (October 29, 1995) "Viaduct party fun for about 7,500." The Birmingham News