Difference between revisions of "2nd Avenue South"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Five Points South neighborhood)
(Five Points South neighborhood)
Line 69: Line 69:
  
 
* [[14th Street South]] intersects (road ends)
 
* [[14th Street South]] intersects (road ends)
** [[Regions Field]], former location of [[Henry DeBardeleben residence]], [[St Vincent's Hospital]] (1898-1900), [[University Stores Warehouse]]
+
** [[Regions Field]], former location of [[Henry DeBardeleben residence]], [[St Vincent's Hospital]] (1898–1900), [[University Stores Warehouse]]
 
** 1416: former location of [[Loose-Wiles Biscuit Co.]] (1930)
 
** 1416: former location of [[Loose-Wiles Biscuit Co.]] (1930)
** 1430: former location of [[U. S. Radiator Corp.]] (1930)
+
** 1430: former location of [[U.S. Radiator Corp.]] (1930)
  
 
* [[15th Street South]] formerly intersected
 
* [[15th Street South]] formerly intersected
** 1500: former location of [[Plosser-Knecht Flour & Grain Co.]] (1925–1930)
+
** 1500–1530: [[Venue at the Ballpark]] (2016–)
** 1521: former location of [[Chace Rubber Co.]] (1930)
+
*** 1500: former location of [[Plosser-Knecht Flour & Grain Co.]] (1925–1930)
** 1527: former location of [[Standard Flue & Material Co.]] (1925)
+
*** 1521: former location of [[Chace Rubber Co.]] (1930)
 +
*** 1527: former location of [[Standard Flue & Material Co.]] (1925)
  
 
* [[16th Street South]] intersects (avenue resumes)
 
* [[16th Street South]] intersects (avenue resumes)
 
** north side ([[Block 125]]):
 
** north side ([[Block 125]]):
*** 1600–1604: [[Smile-A-Mile Place]] (2017-), former location of [[Jones SportsWear]]
+
*** 1600–1604: former location of [[Jones Sportswear]] (–2017)
**** 1600: former location of [[Goodman Manufacturing Co.]] (1930), [[General Machinery Co.)]] (1930–1934)
+
**** 1600–1602: 2-story commercial building, [[Smile-A-Mile Place]] (2017–)
**** 1602: former location of [[Hazzard Wire Rope Co.]] (1927), [[Whitaker Paper Co.]] (1930–1931)
+
***** 1600: former location of [[Goodman Manufacturing Co.]] (1930), [[General Machinery Co.)]] (1930–1934)
*** 1604–1606: former location of [[W. T. Morton & Co.]] (1930)
+
***** 1602: former location of [[Hazzard Wire Rope Co.]] (1927), [[Whitaker Paper Co.]] (1930–1931)
*** 1608: [[Venue at the Ballpark]] (2016-)
+
**** 1604–1606: 1-story commercial building, [[Jones Sportswear]], former location of [[W. T. Morton & Co.]] (1930), machine shop (1950)
** 1616: [[Affordable Office Furniture]]
+
*** 1608–1620: [[The Stockyard]] (redeveloped 2015), former location of [[Affordable Office Furniture Co.]] (2008–2011)
** 1630: [[American Laundry Co. building]] (built 1923), former location of [[American Laundry Co.]] (1923–1930), [[Bradley White Moving & Storage]] (1957)
+
**** 1608–1610: former location of duplex dwelling (1950)
 +
**** 1612: former location of dwelling (1950)
 +
**** 1614: former location of dwelling (1950)
 +
**** 1616: former location of dwelling (1950)
 +
**** 1618: former location of dwelling (1950)
 +
**** 1620: former location of dwelling (1950)
 +
*** 1622–1624: parking lot, former location of 1-story commercial building (demolished 2015), [[Dairy Products Co.]] (1950)
 +
*** 1626–1630: [[American Laundry Co. building]] (built 1923), former location of [[American Laundry Co.]] (1923–1930), [[Bradley White Moving & Storage]] (1957)
 
** south side ([[Block 132]]):
 
** south side ([[Block 132]]):
** 1605: former location of [[Wittichen Coal & Transfer Co.]] stables (1915–1925)
+
*** 1601–1615: former location of [[Wittichen Coal & Transfer Co.]] stables (1915–1925)
** 1609: former location of [[Wittichen Supply Co.]] (1957)
+
**** 1601–1607: 1-story commercial building, former location of appliance wholesaler (1950)
** 1615: former location of [[Wittichen Coal & Transfer Co.]] stables (1920–1930)
+
**** 1609–1615: 1-story warehouse building, former location of [[Wittichen Chemical Co.]] (1950), [[Wittichen Supply Co.]] (1957)
** 1625–1631: former location of [[G. C. Phillips Tractor Co.]] (1930)
+
*** 1617–1623: [[Sullivan Service Co.]], former location of [[Birmingham Building Products Co.]] (1950)
 +
*** 1625–1631: former location of [[G. C. Phillips Tractor Co.]] (1930), appliance wholesaler (1950), [[Retail Outlet]]
  
 
* [[17th Street South]] intersects
 
* [[17th Street South]] intersects

Revision as of 09:30, 8 July 2020

Second Avenue South (originally Avenue B) is a two-way, east-west avenue in Birmingham. The main section runs from 10th Street South, just west of Interstate 65, to 34th Street South in the east. In 2012, the two blocks between 14th and 16th Streets were closed and removed, to become part the site of Regions Field. The road actually begins as a two-lane residential street at Center Street in North Titusville and runs to the intersection of 3rd Place and Kappa Avenue. West of Center Street, it continues as 2nd Avenue Southwest and runs through Loveman Village, ending just short of Martin Luther King, Jr Drive at Elmwood Cemetery.

Additional sections of 2nd Avenue South exist to the east in Woodlawn and East Lake. One section starts at 38th Street South and extends to just past 44th Street South. Another runs for two blocks between 47th and 49th Street. The final sections are two-lane residential roads. One runs from 62nd to 63rd Streets where it is interrupted by the Interstate 20 right of way. It then resumes in a final long section from 64th Place to 88th Street.

In East Lake, the road was originally known as Underwood Avenue.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 2nd Avenue South category.

South Titusville

Five Points South neighborhood

Southside neighborhood

Forest Park-South Avondale

East Avondale

South Woodlawn

East Lake neighborhood

South East Lake