A. & A. Ash Jewelers
A & A Ash Jewelers was a jewelry store at 201 20th Street North in the Frank Nelson Building that operated in downtown Birmingham from 1903 to 2007. The business was founded by brothers Aaron and Albert Ash.
Brothers Aaron and Albert Ash from North Carolina moved to Birmingham in 1903 and began selling jewelry from a horse-drawn cart. They eventually retired the horse and buggy and set up shop alongside a dry goods merchant. The Ash brothers were able to get their own space on 2nd Avenue North between 19th and 20th Streets. The line expanded to china and ceramics, and in the early 1930s the shop moved into its last location in the Frank Nelson Building on the northeast corner of 2nd Avenue and 20th Street North.
Ben Ash, Aaron's son who had worked in the store since coming home from World War II, retired in October 2006 and passed away in January 2007. The store was liquidated and closed in May 2007 by Ben's son, Chip, in order to settle his estate.
- A & A Ash Jewelers: A Century of Jewelry Excellence, (n.d.) - accessed February 27, 2007.
- Williams, Roy L. (March 1, 2007) "A&A Ash Jewelers to end 104-year run in city." The Birmingham News