Avondale Fire Department
The Avondale Fire Department provided fire protection to the City of Avondale before it was annexed into Birmingham in 1910. Prior to 1893, fire alarms in the city brought out loosely organized volunteers.
In January of that year, the Avondale Board of Aldermen contracted for the installation of 20 fire hydrants and, a month later, organized an official volunteer fire station with W. B. Moore as president. At first the department was largely ineffective at controlling fires, but gradual improvements in equipment and training allowed them to earn the confidence of residents and their insurers. The original fire house was located at 412 Spring Street.