Berney Bank building
- This article is about the 1885 building in Birmingham. For the 1887 building in Bessemer, see Berney Brothers Block.
The Berney Bank building was constructed in 1885 for the Central Bank of Birmingham, which soon became the Berney National Bank. It was located on half of a lot owned by William Berney at 1923 1st Avenue North, and was the first building erected on that block (Block 108A). The other half-lot was sold, and with its appreciation in value, more than paid for Berney's original land investment.
Berney National Bank was absorbed by First National Bank of Birmingham in 1901. The building was sold to the American Trust & Savings Bank. The building was later demolished and the site remains a vacant lot, used as a "pocket park" connector through the block.
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1981) The Birmingham District: An Industrial History and Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society ISBN 9990230099
- Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) "Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama" Jefferson County Historical Commission