Birmingham Trust building
The Birmingham Trust building at 112 20th Street North was the first home of the Birmingham Trust & Savings Company. The original 1902 building on the site was designed in 1900 by Charles Wheelock & Son and constructed at a cost of $50,000.
That structure was replaced with a larger Neo-classical style office building in 1922. The new building, clad in white Georgia marble, contains approximately 70,000 square feet of office space. It was designed by the firm of Miller, Martin & Lewis Architects.
Wachovia Bank, which purchased SouthTrust, the successor to Birmingham Trust, maintained the building's banking office until April 2006, after which the building was left vacant. It was purchased in May 2008 by developer George Ladd who plans to recruit office tenants to the space.
- Thornton, William (May 14, 2008) "Old Birmingham Trust building sold to Ladd." Birmingham News