Fairfield High Preparatory School
|Fairfield High Preparatory School|
|Colors||purple and gold|
|Location||610 Valley Road|
Fairfield High Preparatory School is the sole high school in the Fairfield City Schools system. It was founded in 1928, four years after Fairfield Industrial High School, to serve white students in the city.
In 1939 the football field at Fairfield High school was equipped with 60,000 watts of light for evening games at a cost of $2,500 split between the Fairfield City Council, Fairfield Board of Education, and Fairfield Country Fair Association.
The school was integrated in 1969, and is now primarily African-American. The current building was constructed in 1998. In 2011, Fairfield City Councilor F. D. Scott renewed a longstanding suggestion to relocate the school to the Flintridge Building.
- Nolanda Hatcher, architect and attorney
- Melford Espey, the original "Big Al"
- Eleanor Harrison, insurance executive
- Tim Johnson, NFL linebacker
- Joe Shannon, aviator