First Federal building
The First Federal building (also known as the The Financial Centre) is a five story, 50,000 square foot office building located at the corner of Greensboro Avenue and 6th Street in downtown Tuscaloosa. Completed in 1965, The First Federal building was the first modern office building constructed in downtown Tuscaloosa.
On July 29, 1964, president of the First Federal Savings & Loan Association J. Clemson Duckworth announced plans to construct a new headquarters building in downtown Tuscaloosa. Its location was along Greensboro Avenue atop the site formerly occupied by the McLester Hotel which was demolished to make way for its construction. At the time of its announcement, the First Federal building was to be the biggest commercial building constructed downtown since the completion of the First National Bank building in 1925. Costing $1.5 million, construction commenced in September 1964. After just over a year of construction, the First Federal building celebrated its grand opening on October 7, 1965.
The First Federal building was designed by William Cann of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America of St Louis, Missouri. Its design features alternating vertical elements of tan aggregate panels and glass windows on its southern and eastern sides. The northern side features drive-through lanes accessible from Broad Street (now University Boulevard). The main lobby area off Greensboro Avenue featured a spiral staircase at center leading to the mezzanine area.